During a necessary engine test of the research aircraft, we hoped to test our instruments. So today we worked on preparing the instruments. However, the Swedish authorities decided at a meeting this afternoon that Geophysica needs to leave immediately. The Russian embassy contacted the engineers of Geophysica requesting to follow this demand, due to the risk of being impounded. Until now there were potential plans and hopes (i.e., transfer flights to a different country and having test flights there), now we have to interrupt our work and dismount all instruments during the next hours. Geophysica must leave the country tomorrow morning. Everyone is shocked and very disappointed…
About Corinna Kloss
Corinna is a PhD student in the field of Atmospheric Science at the Institute of Energy and Climate Research since 2014. She helped developing the spectrometer AMICA and will now search for trace gases in the asian monsoon in Nepal with AMICA.
adventure Anticyclone Arena Arctica Argentina Asian Monsoon atmosphere Aurora campaign CLaMS EMC first flight flight flight planning flight track flood Garden of dreams Geophysica GLORIA HALO Ice hotel Icehotel ireland Kalamata Kathmandu Kiruna Kiruna airport Nepal Oberpfaffenhofen Ophelia preparation research research aircraft Research flight Shannon sharing of knowledge smart scientists Southtrac StratoClim stratosphere transfer troposphere troposphere-stratosphere exchange Typhoon WISE Zugspitze